HERE IS WHY THE COUNCIL SHOULD BE THE FIRST COMMISSIONERS FOR THE BONNEY LAKE METROPOLITAN PARK DISTRICT:
1) They already know the park needs because they have seen the studies, passed the Park Element of the Comprehensive Plan, attended the summits and know what the constraints of the budget are. They are your elected officials that you tasked with legislating in this city.
2) The simplicity of setting up the MPD with existing officials rather than running a confusing simultaneous election to elect an additional set of commissioners other than councilmembers.
3) The ease of getting the MPD up and running without having to bring newly elected commissioners (if the council was not used) up to speed.
4) It is not another layer of government; it is the existing councilmembers who are already tasked with park issues.
5) State law allows for petition process to convert the council commissioners to citizens elected to serve as park commissioners, separating the commissioners from the city council. This can be done at a later time.
6) The citizens can also petition to dissolve the MPD at a later time. There are options; nothing is forever.
Have a look around:
Paid for by BLParks.org
Copyright 2013 - Metro Park District -All Rights Reserved